Saturday, September 5, 2009

Sunset, sunrise. Set me ablaze.

The past few days have felt like a gripping journey through a fluctuating, bone-sheathed spiral. Does that make sense? More than likely not. It's about time I get a sketchbook to illustrate all of these feelings, but this is not the time to digress so quickly.

I decided to work from home beginning Wednesday morning. All that had to be done for SPOP was write my "Coord Advice" for next year's coordinators. The whole time I was writing this letter, it gave a real nostalgic feeling. It made me really miss the early times I had with my other coordinators, yet I was so excited for all of us to move on and to see what future coordinators may come. I really meant what I had said at the end of our SPOP closing, that our team of five coordinators had been the most cohesive group I had ever worked with. I am truly grateful for these four other people. I cannot possibly imagine my SPOP experience without them.

The day continued to be a wonderful one, spending time with SPOP people I hadn't seen in a long while. Went swimming, ate all you can eat sushi at You & I, and just generally hung out. It was around 1:00am when people wanted to go on a night beach adventure. I had to pass. I began to feel really tired, and my left tonsil sore. I immediately passed out at home, where the night really began. I couldn't tell if I had a fever, or if I was was just having feverish dreams. I also kept on periodically waking up, or what I thought to be waking up. Regardless, I "woke up" with now both of my tonsils feeling sore, having it hard to swallow. My body covered in sweat, my head slightly hurting, I closed back my weary eyes. I opened them again to see the time on my phone; 3:36am. I slowly drifted my eyes toward the window, noticing my room was being filled with flashes of green light. Still drowning in hot sweat, I became utterly terrified. However, I did not have the energy or the slightest notion of what to do but close my eyes once again. I later "woke up" with the room completely dark this time, yet still feeling a small sense of unknown, sweltering fear. Again, not knowing what to do, I turned my head and closed my eyes. I finally opened my eyes to see the sun, and sat up on my bed. After waking up this time, I could not tell if I had actually woken up the times before. Had they been just feverish nightmares? I do not know.

Thursday and Friday were supposed to be days for me to go into the Cross-Cultural Center to finally wrap up some unfinished work. Unfortunately, my sickness set me back. Sorry Floyd Lai, but this design and publicity intern folder will definitely be finished by early next week. At least I got the REACH workshop request form working, thanks to mike knox's knowledge of Mr. Tajiri's changes. Instead of really working, I spent the majority of Thursday in bed, sweating like my body had been in drought for years. It never occurred to me what it was like being sick during the summer. Well, let me tell you. It's pretty awful. My room is hot as it is, with it being in the front of our apartment with two windows facing the sun. It also doesn't help that Montag's heat lamp emits another sun within my room. Just right now, it says it is 85.1 degrees. Imagine it during the day. Anyway, it was nice that Kevin and Ken brought me over DayQuil. Massive amounts of orange juice, DayQuil, and raw will to get better before this weekend has gotten me through the past 48 hours pretty well.

Waking up Friday, it wasn't too bad. My throat still a bit sore, but with the determination to get better, I continued to down orange juice and DayQuil. I was told that dressing like you're not sick tricks your body into thinking it's actually not sick. Thinking about the past, the times I've decided to just get up and go out while sick made me feel a lot better. I had planned a lunch/ dinner date with a couple of friends for Friday, both I had been already pushing far enough. I had lunch with my friend Christine, who I hadn't seen in oh, so long. We ate at Ruby's Diner, and watched Up at the dollar theater. It was quite nice. I later had dinner with Candice at Kaju Soft Tofu. My brother and I used to dine here so frequently. The waitresses, who we basically viewed as our Korean aunts, would always welcome us so warmly and referred to us as "the brothers." I'm surprised the waitress still remembers me. I hadn't been there in the longest time, but it was really touching to know I was seen as a familiar face.

At the end of the night, I found myself looking through old Facebook photos of myself. It seemed like I was turning through pages of historical documents. It's incredible to think how much I have actually accomplished at UC Irvine to get where I am today. It's pretty crazy how many hairstyles and weight changes I've been through as well. Despite finally realizing the need to get back into shape, I also realized this coming weekend will be nearing the completion of a lot of cycles for me. Saturday, I will be attending the first annual APSA Alumni Potluck at Ron Wilson's house. I have not yet met Ron Wilson, but he is supposedly a former significant advisor to APSA way back in the day. I cannot wait to see some new and familiar faces, as APSA has given so much to me to give back to the world these past two years. Saturday night is also supposed to be the SPOP Alumni Party. I do not really know what to expect from this, but it shall be interesting nonetheless. Sunday, I plan to attend the North American Reptile Breeders Conference at the Anaheim Convention Center. This is where I got Montag at 7 weeks old, exactly a year ago. I love seeing all the different exotic breeds of reptiles and amphibians. It takes me back to when I was a kid, when my father used to bring me to reptile shops in Concord and Berkeley.

This weekend brings a lot of excitement, yet there is still a lot of work ahead. I was planning on flying up North sometime next week, but we'll see about that. I haven't been home in exactly nine months now.

Wants:
- a sketchbook
- to start reading "A Different Mirror: A History of Multicultural America"
- to start reading "Pedagogy of the Oppressed"
- the Fall/ Winter to cast over
- to be set ablaze with love
- a job

PS, these guys have got it going on. However, there's just something that's not quite right.

No comments:

Post a Comment