Monday, September 7, 2009

APSA 9.05.2009.

This past Saturday was the 1st Annual APSA Reunion. As I was talking with Grace, we both realized how much love we really had for APSA. Although our time and progression with this student organization has ended, it will always continue to be a part of us. I loved this organization so much when we were a part of it, and I felt it was love that guided us. Not just love for the people, but love for our community, humanity, and justice. The past two years I was involved with the Asian Pacific Student Association, we were an incredibly small organization on campus. However, our size and relatively non-existent general membership never stopped us in our strive to fulfill our mission and beliefs.

The reunion really put all of this into a clearer perspective for me. I met people who were in APSA from many years back, who were much older than myself. It was nothing like I had expected, but again, I never set those high expectations. Everyone there had been through so much, and it was really comforting to see how close they still were with each other. I can only hope for the years I was apart of APSA to be like that, just hanging around at one of our houses and being like a big family. In some ways, when our time comes, I hope these meetings continue and become like a family reunion for us. I felt like many of the people I was in APSA with these past two years were my family at UC Irvine. It was my first involvement on campus I felt like I had belonged.

It is where I began. I owe so much to this single student organization. It was where I was rooted, pushing me to grow onto so many other involvements and opportunities. I can't even imagine where I would be today if I had never gotten involved with APSA.

1st Annual APSA Reunion, Ron Wilson's house 2009

Asian Pacific American Awareness Conference, APSA Board 2009
with our keynote speaker, Parry Shen

Grace Young's External Chair Interns, APSA 2008

2 comments: