Friday, January 18, 2008

Self Progression, GO!

I am a heavy believer in progression, whether it is socially or just simply of the self. It feels like I have made a lot of progress this week. From the beginning of this quarter, I've kept telling myself to "step up." It's seriously what I need to do and continue to do right now. Especially since I am now a 3rd year here, at UCI. It's really hard to comprehend that I am actually a junior, because it literally feels as if I've lost a whole year. What the hell happened last year? I do not know. That is exactly why I have been telling myself to step up. I feel like there is so much left for me to do here, and every minute lost is incredibly conflicting. "I would be wasting too much, not giving myself to others," which is why I have been devoting so much of myself to APSA. Not only is it something worth putting time into for the progression of Asian and Pacific Islander -Americans, but it's something I'm comfortable enough to say that I am a part of. Some people may know this already, but a lot do not; I've spent my so-far years at UCI feeling a little lost, with nothing to call a part of my own. This year, I've finally found something, which brings me more to say about my progression of this week.

It feels like I've spent a huge amount of time on an APSA related agenda this week. APSA board meeting, our constituents meeting, API Heritage Month meeting, APSA general meeting, cooking for our curry/ thai iced tea food sale, ASUCI meeting for APAAC funding, and APAAC meeting all this week. Crazy, right? It's been a good experience so far: organization (well, somewhat) with well-composed execution (from what I saw). Exactly what I like. Thanks Grace Young. And this again brings more, of a potential design/ web internship at the Cross-Cultural Center for next year? Mmmm. Honestly, I was surprised at our APAAC meeting in the Cross. I mean, I was shocked that Sherwyn was so interested in giving me an internship for web design or anything of that matter, based on seeing a simple site I made. I think I was surprised, because a lot of the times I don't feel very able with my knowledge of design and coding. Well, considering I've self-taught myself all of it, and my major is not even close to dealing with computers in that matter. It was really cool that she was so web-savvy. I never get to talk to people about that kind of stuff and have them actually understand. Web 2.0? Yeah, it's sexy, in a raw commercial and marketing kind of way. But that's what it's all about, communication through simple style and execution. I know I originally told Jenny that I wasn't too confident in my graphic design abilities (since I deal more with web design than graphic). Considering the current circumstances, I really should have just said yes to designing the flyer in the first place, but I believe my reasons to still be valid. Especially when I really want APAAC to look really professional. I honestly do not think we are taken seriously enough, particularly by ASUCI. Either that, or people don't even know who we are. I digress. So, I'm now working on the APAAC flyer. I don't know why I got so tangent of my whole "needing to step up this year," but during the meeting it sparked. But yeah, I already have an incredible idea, along with an incredible roommate with an incredible camera to help me.

This quarter, I am taking the usual four classes, working at the Gardiner Lab about 12 hours a week, and being webmaster/ external chair intern for the Asian Pacific Student Association. Oh yeah, and possibly regularly attending Uncultivated Rabbits meetings every week. Monday was my very first meeting, ever. I've honestly always wanted to go, but never really felt that comfortable as a writer/ spoken wordist to show up. Yeah, I liked it. And yes, I have been putting to good use of the two major things I have brought back to Irvine from my short time at home during winter break. My laptop has not been missed at all while soaking up everything that is my 24" iMac. I have also been keeping up quite well with practicing my acoustic guitar. Fierce.

All of this, yet I am still so far behind in my readings for classes. Hello three-day weekend, how are you?

Last of all, for some reason, last Saturday night's party came at me all at once. "Brandon, do you have trouble meeting women?" "How come you don't have a girlfriend? You seem like the type that always has a girlfriend, at all times." Yes, I do have trouble meeting women. Oh, I just haven't really found anyone down here in Irvine. Lies. Yes, I have been single for quite a long time, but I've realized now, that I really do not have anymore reasons to be.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, your entry is so...current. I just write about random ideas or feelings I have. But I like reading about your week. And I'm sure my old friends from Vegas or even friends here in Irvine I don't talk to very often would like to read about how my life is going. When you list out the things you did (that I also did) for APSA this week, it's INSANE!! We do all that? Man, shoot me. Why don't you have a girlfriend, Brandon? Huh? Huh? No one good enough for you? Just kidding....=D

    ReplyDelete